Kaery never intended to become a self-protection expert or a firearms trainer. In 2005 she loved her busy days as an at-home wifey to one and mommy to three when a horrific attack took place near her hometown. In May of that year, a violent aggressor savagely attacked a Wolf Lodge, Idaho family as they slept in their rural home, killing both parents and their teenage son, and kidnapping the two youngest children ages 7 and 9. Days before the attack, as the convicted felon traveled westbound on Interstate 90, he spotted the children playing in their yard and began planning his attack. This horrific attack was life-altering for many. . . . .
The disgusting, sub-human that committed these horrific acts [be prepared to be sick] had recently been released from prison and was known to and wanted by state and federal law enforcement. After he was apprehended, media outlets released a list of GPS coordinates visited by the killer prior to his attack on the Wolf Lodge family. The list contained coordinates for a location the killer visited many times — the Kindermusik music studio on Spokane’s South Hill — where Kaery and her three children attended twice-weekly music classes.
Although Kaery understood that this coincidence did not necessarily mean that she and the aggressor were at the same location at the same time, her eyes were opened to the truth: evil people, even serial killers, can be anywhere at anytime and they can even be at “safe” places like Kindermusik. With that realization weighing heavily, Kaery realized that she must prepare to be the primary agent in her own rescue (or in the rescue of her children). She knew it was time to accept responsibility for keeping her children safe but she didn’t know how to begin or where to turn for answers.
She started by reading books by experts in the self-protection space: Principles of Personal Defense by Col Jeff Cooper, In the Gravest Extreme by Massad Ayoob, and Armed and Female by Paxton Quigley. While these books were extremely informative, they confirmed what Kaery intuitively knew — she needed much more than just knowledge — she needed to learn and master the skills a mom would need to protect herself and her children so she began to search for that type of training.
The search was daunting. The only training available at that time was offered by instructors with extensive military or police experience but their mission, equipment, and rules of engagement are dramatically different than that of a private citizen. Kaery desperately wanted training from a civilian perspective but 18 years ago this type of training didn’t exist, so she dove into the training that was available. With each class Kaery attended she asked questions and sifted through the course material to hone in on the principles and tactics civilians must master. After attending courses Kaery would share with friends and family what she was learning. Little-by-little and bit-by-bit she began developing a curriculum that addressed the unique protection needs of families and this became the foundation of Kaery Concealed.
Today, Kaery Concealed offers professional, personal protection training in a non-intimidating, family-friendly setting. We strive to instill in our clients the knowledge and skills they need to successfully protect themselves and those they love — and we do this in a caring a supportive setting — a setting that is completely void of the ego and bravado that often characterize the male-dominated firearm industry.
It is our prayer that you never face a violent encounter, yet it is our purpose to help you develop responsible, legal, and effective responses should it happen.
Kaery is a wife to 1 (for 26 years!) and a mommy to 7. She earned a M.Ed in Curriculum Development – Gifted Education Emphasis from Whitworth University in 2003 and has been teaching in a variety of capacities for over 25 years. Kaery trains under and is mentored by the industry’s most respected firearm trainers, and she assimilates the most practical methods and proven techniques into her courses. The de-escalation, disengagement, and defensive strategies she teaches originated with the master instructors she has trained under (crediting them at every opportunity)– these strategies are effective for the average citizen wanting to learn how to safely, legally, and effectively protect themselves and those they love.
Kaery’s work with hundreds of women and families gives her a deep understanding of the barriers, challenges, concerns, and needs of responsible citizens wanting to take responsibility for their own safety and protecting loved ones. All of Kaery’s courses are designed to meet you where you are on your self-protection journey and help you develop the practical, street-proven knowledge and skills necessary to PREVAIL should you ever be faced with a violent encounter.
With over 1,000 hours of firearm and self-protection training Kaery remains passionate about continuing her journey as a firearms student and continually pursues training and mentorship under nationally and internationally respected instructors in this field. Although she has many instructor certifications, Kaery doesn’t continue to train just to collect more certifications — she is dedicated to training because she passionate about being the best instructor possible and the best instructor is a continual student. Below are some training highlights from the last few years.
- Rangemaster Certified Firearms Instructor
- Use of Deadly Force Instructor – Massad Ayoob Group
- Active Self Protection Instructor Candidate (Cohort 1, July 2020)
- Utah Concealed Carry Permit Instructor
- Washington State Hunter Education Instructor
- SHOT IQ Instructor
- Certified Glock Armorer
- AR-15 Armorer
- Law of Self Defense – Instructor Development
- The Well Armed Woman Certified Instructor
- SABRE Pepper Spray Instructor
- TASER Training
- NRA Certified Instructor – CCW, Pistol, Shotgun, Refuse to be a Victim, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection Inside & Outside the Home
- NRA Concealed Carry Force-on-Force Training – Erik Frohardt & Jeff Houston
- NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
- Glock Operator Course – Instructor Scotty Banks
- Clint Smith – Defensive Handgun, Home & Vehicle Defense + Trauma Block
- Ken Hackathorn – Advanced Tactical Pistol
- Massad Ayoob – MAG-40, Use of Deadly Force Instructor
- Dave Spaulding – Vehicle Combatives, Adaptive Combative Handgun
- John/Vicki Farnam – Defensive Handgun
- Wes Doss | Khyber Interactive – Lights, Sights & Lasers
- William Aprill | Aprill Risk Consulting – UnThinkable
- Citizens Defense Research | Melody Lauer – The Armed Parent
- John Johnston – Technical Handgun: Tests & Standards
- Scott Jedlinski – AIWB Concealed Carry, Red Dot Pistol
- Midwest Training Group – Advanced Handgun Skills, Defensive Carbine
- Model Mugging – Full Force Adrenaline Stress Training
- Martial Blade Concepts – Martial Blade & Counter Blade
- Tim Larkin – Target Focused Training
- Craig Douglas | ShivWorks – Edged Weapon Overview